Erek Barron Honored as one of "40 Under 40 - Best Advocates" By National Bar Association
Baltimore -- The National Bar Association has announced that Erek Barron, counsel at Whiteford Taylor & Preston, has been selected as one of forty young lawyers from across the nation who will be honored at the NBA's gala in July. The Best Advocates awards recognize “talented individuals (age 40 and under) within the African American legal community who have achieved prominence and distinction, professionally and philanthropically.”
Martin Fletcher, the firm's managing partner, said, “Erek is a truly outstanding lawyer. We are very proud that he has been selected for this national honor.”
The complete press release from the NBA and IMPACT, a nonprofit that partners with the NBA in these awards, follows.
Contact: Erica Butler
Phone: (202) 643-1340
Winners of the "2012 Nation's Best Advocates: 40 Lawyers Under 40" To Be Honored at National Bar Association Gala
WASHINGTON, D.C. - IMPACT and the National Bar Association (NBA) will honor the "Nation's Best Advocates: 40 Lawyers Under 40" at a special awards gala on Sunday, July 15, 2012 during the NBA's 87th Annual Convention in Las Vegas, NV.
Nation's Best Advocates recognizes talented individuals (age 40 and under) within the African American legal community who have achieved prominence and distinction, professionally and philanthropically. Selected nominees represent a cross-section of legal professionals: solo practitioners, government lawyers, judges, academicians, corporate counsels, young elected officials, and other lawyers using their degree in innovative ways. Nominees were chosen based on their achievement, innovation, vision, leadership, and legal community involvement.
"The NBA is proud to partner again with IMPACT for this year's 40 Lawyers Under 40 event. We applaud the awardees for their significant accomplishments and contributions towards the legal profession and community," said Daryl Parks, NBA President. "We look forward to honoring these awardees during our 87th Annual Convention in Las Vegas, and most importantly, we look forward to sustaining our mission of service and ensuring that justice is achieved by all." "The 2012 Nation's Best Advocates: 40 Lawyers Under 40 are continuing the tradition of legal giants in American history," said Angela Rye, IMPACT Director of Strategic Partnerships. "The invaluable contributions made by these attorneys establish a standard for service and excellence in our communities and our Nation."
The recipients of the Nation's Best Advocate of the Year, Excellence in Leadership, Service, Activism, and Innovation awards will be recognized at the event, which is the only of its kind.
2012 Nation's Best Advocates: 40 Lawyers Under 40
- Adante Pointer, Senior Associate, Law Offices of John Burris
- Alisia Mary Adamson, Managing Partner, Hylton, Adamson, Watson & Moore
- Allen C. Miller, Partner, Phelps Dunbar, LLP
- Allison C. Danels, Defense Attorney, Office of the Chief Defense Counsel, Military Commissions
- Allison R. Brown, President, Allison Brown Consulting, LLC
- Alvin F. Benton, Associate, Holland & Knight LLP
- Angela Ball, Associate General Counsel, Radio One, Inc.
- Annamaria Steward-Dymond, Associate Dean of Students, David A. Clark School of Law/UDC
- Anthony J.M. Jones, Managing Partner, The Jones Firm
- Ayanna Jenkins Toney, Partner, Law Offices of Ayannna Jenkins Toney
- Camille Y. Townsend, Associate, Jackson Lewis
- Catherine Ongiri, Attorney, Alameda County Department of Child Support Services
- Cedric Richmond, Member of Congress, U.S. House of Representatives
- Corena Norris-McCluney, Counsel, Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton, LLP
- D. Simone Williams, General Counsel, Gulf Coast Funds Management, LLC
- Derrick T. Simmons, Mississippi State Senator, State of Mississippi
- Dolores Dorsainvil, Senior Staff Attorney, District of Columbia Office of Bar Counsel
- Elke Suber, Senior Attorney, Microsoft Corporation
- Erek Barron, Counsel, Whiteford Taylor & Preston, LLP
- Goldie K. Gabriel, Director of Legal and Business Affairs, Warner/Chappell Music, Inc.
- Jabari A. Willis, Senior Associate, Atkinson, Andelson, Loya, Ruud & Romo
- Jennifer A. Prioleau, Senior Counsel, Hewlett-Packard Company
- Jonathan Goins, Partner, Gonzalez Saggio & Harlan, LLP
- Kenneth L. Parker, AUSA, Chief Criminal Division, U.S. Attorney's Office Southern District of Ohio
- Kenya Thacker Pierre, Patent Counsel, Kimberly-Clark Corporation
- Latrice A.G. Byrdsong, Corporate Counsel-Securities, Governance & Finance, DaVita, Inc.
- Linnea Willis, Partner, Law Office of Linnea N. Willis
- Lisa A. Hall-Johnson, Associate, Dickstein Shapiro LLP
- Lora M. Whitticker, Gen44 Deputy National Finance Director, Obama For America
- Nikki Johnson-Huston, Assistant City Solicitor, City of Philadelphia Law Department
- Reginald McKnight, Counsel, WilmerHale, LLP
- Rodney C. Pratt, Assistant General Counsel-Commercial, Nike, Inc.
- S. Jeanine Conley, Partner, Baker Hostetler
- Sadarie Chambliss Holston, Attorney-Advisor, U.S. Social Security Administration
- Sandra Douglass Morgan, Senior Deputy City Attorney, North Las Vegas City Attorney's Office
- Shavar D. Jeffries, Professor, Seton Hall Law School
- Tchienyonnoh Katuri Kaye, Attorney, Trucker Huss APC
- Terrill L. Hill, Solo Practitioner, Terrill Hill P.A.
- Toni Y. Hickey, Senior Counsel, Foley & Lardner LLP
- Tremayne Bunaugh, Counsel, U.S. Senate, Select Committee on Ethics
The National Bar Association was founded in 1925 and is the nation's oldest and largest national network of predominantly African American attorneys and judges. It represents approximately 44,000 lawyers, judges, law professors and law students and has over 80 affiliate chapters throughout the United States and around the world.
IMPACT is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to engage and build a network of young professionals of color to foster civic engagement, increase knowledge of the political and legislative processes, and enhance economic empowerment opportunities.