Webinar: Federal Lobbying & Ethics Rules in 2017: Is Your Organization Ready?
Date: January 13, 2017 - 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
The election of Donald Trump and a Republican-controlled Congress promises to usher in one of the busiest Congressional sessions in years. This one-hour webinar focuses on the “must know” lobbying and government ethics issues for corporations and nonprofit organizations. Learn the latest about lobbying registration and reporting rules, opportunities to interact and provide gifts to Congressional and executive branch officials, and President-elect Trump’s proposals to “drain the swamp” by tightening rules for lobbyists.
With major legislative proposals already on the table, many companies, associations and advocacy groups will increase their Congressional and executive branch lobbying efforts. Many other organizations will register and submit disclosure reports for the first time. Is your organization up to speed on its obligations under the Lobbying Disclosure Act (LDA) and Internal Revenue Code?
Whiteford’s political law team leaders, Jim Kahl and Jeff Altman, will host an informative webinar highlighting the key compliance points for entities that employ or retain federal lobbyists:
- Activities that trigger LDA registration and reporting, and options for tailoring activities to avoid LDA and IRS lobbying rules
- Quarterly and semiannual LDA reporting requirements relating to issues lobbied, lobbying activity expenses and other payments benefitting public officials
- IRS rules applicable to entities that engage in lobbying, including special rules for tax-exempt entities such as charities, trade associations and advocacy organizations (and their funders)
- Special reporting rules that apply to transition and inaugural activities
- Consequences of not complying with LDA and IRS lobbying rules
Jim Kahl and Jeff Altman are Partners in the Washington, D.C., office of Whiteford, Taylor & Preston. Jim is the former Deputy General Counsel at the Federal Election Commission and represents corporations, associations and other organizations regarding federal and state campaign finance, lobbying and government ethics laws. Jeff Altman, a nationally recognized expert on tax-exempt organizations, regularly advises clients on political law compliance questions. Webinar attendees will have the opportunity to submit questions (live or online) to Jim and Jeff, and their PowerPoint presentation will be available for download.