When families or beneficiaries get into disputes over an estate or a trust, the emotional impact and legal consequences can be devastating. Our Estates & Trusts Litigation attorneys have represented personal representatives, trustees and family members in Maryland, Virginia and District of Columbia trial courts and appellate courts. Our litigators work closely with the firm’s Trusts, Wills and Estate Planning section, as well as with estate planning attorneys from other firms and solo practices. Our first objective is to help you avoid litigation because of its economic and emotional impacts.
But sometimes, going to court is the only way to resolve the situation, and in those cases we are prepared to see your case through to the end -- beginning with litigation planning, filing petitions and other court papers, through depositions and discovery, and on through trial and appeals, if necessary.
Here are some examples of our experience. We have:
- Litigated will caveat actions
- Prosecuted and defended actions to remove trustees and personal representatives
- Handled disputes arising out of spousal share elections
- Defended estates against contract claims arising out of business dealings and investments made by decedents
- Handled numerous disputes over whether particular items of personal property or parcels of real estate should be included as probate property
- Prosecuted actions for breach of fiduciary duty to recover misappropriated estate and trust funds
- Instituted proceedings against agents, personal representatives and trustees to compel accountings and produce books and records
- Handled inter partes probate actions
- Prosecuted actions to establish heirship
U.S. News & World Report: Whiteford, Taylor & Preston Once Again Ranked in More Practices than Any Other Firm in Maryland
Baltimore -- Whiteford Taylor & Preston LLP is very gratified to announce that the firm has once again received exemplary ratings in the fifth annual U.S. News & World Report rankings of law firms.