Our Technology and Intellectual Property litigators help businesses protect, leverage and enforce their intellectual property rights and defend them from allegations of infringement. We have successfully represented clients in proceedings before a wide range of administrative agencies and other forums, including the Board of Patent Appeals, the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, the International Trade Commission, and the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers ("ICANN"), as well as in a number of state and federal courts across the country, including the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. Additionally, we advance the interests of our clients through the use of a number of forms of alternative dispute resolution, including mediation and arbitration.
Our proven intellectual property litigation experience covers a wide range of disputes involving: (i) patents; (ii) copyrights; (iii) trademarks, domain names, trade dress and other brand protection devices; (iv) trade secrets; (v) licensing and other contract matters; (vi) advertising and promotion; and (vii) insurance coverage of intellectual property claims.
Our clients range from individual inventors to large corporations across a wide spectrum of industries and technologies. Examples of these representations include:
- Representation of inventors, manufacturers and patent holders of rapid deployment rescue shelters for use in coal mining and other accidents where toxic conditions may exist in patent infringement matters
- Representation of government agency in patent infringement matter related to vehicle tracking software
- Representation of inventor and patent owner of certain distributed network architecture in patent infringement matter
- Representation of designer of wireless local loop system and manufacturer of mobile switching centers in contract dispute regarding deployment of wireless telecommunications system in war torn Iraq
- Representation of international flooring manufacturer in patent infringement suits before International Trade Commission
- Representation of open source database developer in case of first impression regarding the GNU Public License ("GPL")
- Representation of financial services company in patent infringement matter involving the navigation method employed in its mobile web site
- Representation of designer and developer of operating system for nuclear power plant simulators in copyright and trade secret infringement matter
- Representation of developer, licensor and patent holder of pharmocovigilance software analytical tool for analyzing risks of pharmaceutical products in patent infringement matter
- Representation of provider of optical subassembly systems and related test services in trade secret infringement matter
- Representation of developer and operator of online college application software in patent infringement matter
- Representation of jewelry manufacturer in patent infringement matter
- Representation of manufacturer and reseller of computer classroom desks in patent ownership dispute
- Representation of manufacturer of ground fault circuit interrupters ("GFCI") in patent infringement, unfair competition and false advertisement matter
- Representation of international garment manufacturer and distributor in copyright matter related to certain advertising material
- Representation of publicly traded restaurant chain in trademark matters
- Representation of large state university and professor in patent infringement matter involving a method and apparatus for the extermination of aquatic nuisance species from ballast water
- Representation of large hospital system in patent infringement matter regarding a certain cardiovascular prosthetic device (i.e., artificial implantable blood pump)
- Representation of inventor in professional malpractice case related to patent for an innovative topical treatment of reflex sympathetic dystrophy and related ailments
- Representation of mobile office and storage leasing company in patent infringement matter regarding the locking device on certain of its mobile storage units
- Representation of nutritional supplement manufacturer and distributor in patent infringement matter regarding a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement that protects and repairs connective tissue in animals
- Representation of developer of method and apparatus for making, receiving and administering pari-mutuel gaming bets using voice recognition technology in patent infringement matter
The 2017 edition of U.S. News and World Report - Best Lawyers ® “Best Law Firms” has awarded Whiteford, Taylor & Preston LLP exemplary ratings in its seventh annual rankings of law firms.
Twenty of the firm’s practices were ranked at the national level, as well as thirty-seven in Maryland, ten in Washington, D.C., and two in Roanoke, VA.
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston and 21 Lawyers Named as Leaders in the Legal Profession by Chambers and Partners
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston is pleased to announce that, in addition to ranking the firm highly in its 2016 list of Maryland’s leading firms and business lawyers, Chambers and Partners have added new Whiteford lawyers in Maryland and Delaware.
The practice group rankings are based on the high rankings of 21 individual lawyers.
59 Whiteford, Taylor & Preston Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America, 2016, Eight Named as “Lawyers of the Year”
Fifty-nine lawyers from Whiteford, Taylor & Preston have been selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016 (copyright 2015 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken S.C.). The lawyers selected are based in the firm’s Maryland, Washington and Virginia offices.
U.S. News & World Report: Whiteford, Taylor & Preston Once Again Ranked in More Practices than Any Other Firm in Maryland
Whiteford Taylor & Preston LLP is very gratified to announce that the firm has once again received exemplary ratings in the fifth annual U.S. News & World Report rankings of law firms.
Whiteford Taylor & Preston LLP is very gratified to announce that the firm has received exemplary ratings in the second annual U.S. News & World Report rankings of law firms. In Maryland, WTP was rated highly in 34 practice areas, more than any other firm in the state.