Aaron L. Casagrande
A partner in the Baltimore office, Mr. Casagrande’s practice includes a broad array of business litigation matters, including representing companies, creditors, and trustees in connection with investigations and litigation involving director and officer liability claims, mismanagement and business fraud, government investigations, and other business-related litigation. He also represents companies, creditors, and trustees in financial restructurings, bankruptcy proceedings, and related litigation. He is a Co-Chair of the firm's Electronic Discovery Practice Group, as well as a member of the Bankruptcy Bar Association for the District of Maryland and the American Bankruptcy Institute.
- Listed in Maryland Super Lawyers as a "Rising Star," 2010, 2012 - present
- Listed in "40 & Under Hot List" by Benchmark Litigation 2017 - present
Memberships & Activities
- Member: American Bar Association
- Member: Maryland State Bar Association
- Member: American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member: Bankruptcy Bar Association for the District of Maryland
- Symposium Editor: The Journal of Business & Technology Law (2005-2006)
- Staff Member: The Business Lawyer, ABA Section of Business Law (2004-2005)
- Law Clerk for the Honorable Ellen L. Hollander, Maryland Court of Special Appeals (2006-2007)
- President: Bucknell Club of Baltimore (2006-2011)
Corporate Governance, Professional Liability, Trustee Representation, Bankruptcy Litigation and Special Counsel Services
- Counsel to John DeGroote Services, LLC, as trustee of the BearingPoint, Inc. Liquidating Trust, in the investigation and pursuit of claims against a former officer and directors of BearingPoint, Inc. for breach of fiduciary duties. The bankruptcy case of BearingPoint, Inc. was commenced in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York, and the corporate governance case in Virginia settled for $55 million
- Special Litigation Counsel to Natchez Regional Medical Center located in Natchez, Mississippi in its Chapter 9 bankruptcy case in the investigation and successful pursuit of claims of officer liability, fraud, professional malpractice, and breach of contract against certain of the hospital’s former officers and its former hospital management company
- Counsel to the Litigation Trust established in In re Saint Vincent Catholic Medical Centers (New York hospital and healthcare system) in its investigation and successful pursuit of officer liability and professional malpractice claims in New York
- Counsel to Lynn L. Tavenner, as Chapter 7 Trustee of the estate of RoomStore, Inc. in the investigation and pursuit of claims against a former director for breach of fiduciary duties as well as the pursuit of numerous avoidance actions in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, Richmond Division
- Counsel for Hancock Medical Center, a Mississippi Gulf Coast health care system, in the prosecution of professional malpractice and breach of contract claims against a national hospital management company relating to the operations and management of the hospital
- Counsel to Litigation Trustee established to liquidate an airline industry service company (Air Cargo, Inc.), including prosecution of claims against supply chain management software and services company and other professionals on behalf of Litigation Trust
- Counsel to the Chapter 7 Trustee of The Finance Company of America, L.P., a Maryland-based business credit investment institution in, among other things, investigation of potential claims against certain officers and the liquidation and distribution of estate assets
- Counsel to Chapter 7 Trustee of Rowe Furniture, Inc. and the estate of Storehouse, Inc., a furniture manufacturer and retailer, in the investigation and prosecution of director and officer claims in Virginia. Matter settled favorably for clients without filing a complaint
- Special Litigation counsel to Debtors in In re Roper Brothers Lumber Company in Richmond, Virginia, in investigation of claims against insider officers and directors
Business Reorganization and Bankruptcy, Creditors' Rights and Loan Workouts
- Representation of debtors and trustees in pre-bankruptcy planning, bankruptcy filings, formulation of plans of reorganization/liquidation and proceedings involving defense of preferential and fraudulent transfers, executory contracts, asset sales and claim objections
- Counsel to regional and national landlords in various bankruptcy cases relating to claims and lease assignments / assumptions
- Representation of businesses and individuals in preference, fraudulent transfer, and other avoidance actions in bankruptcy cases
- Representation of debtors and creditors, including landlords, in bankruptcy proceedings
Business & Land Use Litigation and Appellate Practice
- Counsel to one of the country’s major manufacturers of water treatment chemicals in multi-district litigation pending in the United States District Court for New Jersey and related causes of action in various state courts. The MDL proceedings are a consolidation of multiple putative class-action lawsuits pursuing antitrust and related claims on behalf of direct and indirect purchasers of water treatment chemicals
- Counsel to Montgomery County, Maryland and the Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission in the defense of due process, equal protection, taking and related claims pursued by one of the country’s largest developers that purchased and sought to develop more than 540 acres of land in the Washington, DC suburbs. Case was dismissed in favor of our clients on a motion for judgment on the pleadings by the United States District Court for the District of Maryland. Currently on appeal with the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Counsel to Montgomery County, Maryland in the defense of claims pursued under the Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act resulting from certain land use and zoning decisions and enactments
- Obtained summary judgment, which was affirmed on appeal, on behalf of Curtiss-Wright in litigation brought by former officer of subsidiary seeking stock options.
- Counsel to numerous businesses and individuals in commercial and business contract, tort, and other disputes in various state and federal courts
- Assisted in appeals in various federal and state courts
Electronically Stored Information
- Representation of clients with respect to the discovery and management of electronic information, including the preservation, collection, review, and production of electronically stored information
- Representation of clients with respect to discovery disputes involving electronically stored information and discovery procedures and protocols
- Handled and counseled clients on discovery for cases involving small amounts of electronic data to global company electronic discovery matters involving millions of documents
- Experience with current technologies for processing, analyzing and reviewing electronically stored information
Four lawyers from Whiteford, Taylor & Preston have been named to the Benchmark Litigation Under 40 Hotlist: Todd Brooks, Aaron Casagrande, Katherine Good and Christopher Samis. Each has been identified by peers and clients as being among the most notable up-and-coming litigation attorneys in the United States. Mr. Brooks and Mr. Casagrande are the only two Maryland lawyers to have been selected for this national ranking. Ms. Good and Mr. Samis are two of only six Delaware lawyers chosen, and Whiteford is the only firm to have two Delaware lawyers recognized.
Forty-one Whiteford Attorneys Named Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in Maryland and Kentucky for 2017
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston is pleased to announce that 41 of its attorneys are listed among the 2017 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in Maryland and Kentucky joining the sixteen who were listed earlier this year in Delaware, D.C., Pennsylvania and Virginia.
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston is pleased to announce that 43 of its attorneys are listed among the 2015 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in Maryland.
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston is delighted to announce that Marla Diaz, a community associations lawyer, and Todd Brooks and Aaron Casagrande, both bankruptcy lawyers, have been named Partners of the firm, effective January 1, 2015.
In his congratulatory remarks, the firm’s managing partner, Martin T. Fletcher, said, “It is a privilege to welcome these exceptional attorneys into their new and expanded roles. Each has delivered tremendous value to clients and will make important contributions to the continuing growth of our firm.”
Fifty-One Whiteford Attorneys Named Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in Maryland; Two in Maryland Listed in "Top 100"
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston is pleased to announce that 54 of its Maryland-based attorneys are listed among the 2014 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
The firm is particularly proud of the young lawyers who are recognized as “Rising Stars” and the three partners who received special recognition -- Edward Buxbaum and Dwight Stone in the Top 100, and Mary Claire Chesshire in the Top 50 Women.
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston is pleased to announce that 64 of its attorneys are listed among the 2013 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in three states.
The firm is particularly proud of the young lawyers who are recognized as “Rising Stars”; the four partners who are listed in the Top 100 in Maryland – Edward Buxbaum, Edwin Fee, William Ryan, and Dwight Stone; and the 16 who are named for the first time this year.
Forty-Six Whiteford, Taylor & Preston Attorneys Named Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in Maryland; Five in Maryland Listed in “Top 100”
The firm is particularly proud of the five who are listed in the Top 100 in Maryland – Edward Buxbaum, Edwin Fee, Paul Nussbaum, William Ryan, and Dwight Stone. Selection of the Top 100 lawyers in a jurisdiction is strictly based on the highest scores in the Super Lawyer judging process, and Whiteford is one of the two firms with the most names on the list.
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston is pleased to announce that 39 of its attorneys are listed among the 2010 Maryland Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. They join three attorneys previously named as Super Lawyers or Rising Stars in Virginia.