This one hour panel-format webinar focuses on the legal and practical issues presented by legalization of medical marijuana, with the final 15 minutes reserved for Q & A.
Allen E. Honick
Mr. Honick manages a diverse litigation practice ranging from complex business disputes to representing plaintiffs in a variety of civil rights and general negligence matters. He has successfully represented large and small clients through all phases of the litigation process. Mr. Honick prides himself on being a true trial lawyer and not just a “litigator.” His recent trial successes include a $2.7 million jury verdict in a civil rights claim against a State government for civil rights violations.
Mr. Honick has earned a reputation of excellence in representing clients in complex matters where the highest degrees of sensitivity and discretion are required. He is selective about the cases he chooses to pursue, which allows him to take the time to get to know his clients, understand their problem, develop a strategy for achieving their goals, and align his and his clients’ interests whenever possible to ensure a mutually incentivized and mutually beneficial relationship.
Clients come to Mr. Honick by word of mouth—frequently, as a result of referrals from other clients and other lawyers, and often times from those who have previously been adverse to our firm. In fact, the highest compliments he receives are referrals from other lawyers and formerly adverse parties.
Mr. Honick is also asked to serve in the role of outside general counsel on a wide range of issues, including cannabis law and general consulting, transactional matters on both the buy and sell-side in the cannabis space, real estate acquisition and management, financial services, entity formation and planning, and corporate governance.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Honick spent ten years in the real estate industry and served as the director for a national title company. Mr. Honick graduated from the University of Baltimore School of Law magna cum laude, and received his Bachelor of Science in Paralegal Studies, with a minor in English Composition from Stevenson University.
Memberships & Activities
- Board Member: Pro Bono Resource Center of Maryland
- Member: American Bar Association
- Member: District of Columbia Bar Association
- Member: Baltimore County Bar Association
- Member: Maryland State Bar Association
- Member: Maryland State Bar Association, Disaster Relief Committee
- Member: Bar Association of Baltimore City
- Executive Committee Member: University of Baltimore Law Alumni Association
- Representation of a national commercial builder in multimillion dollar breach of contract and tort action.
- Managed portfolio of state tax liens for national servicing company.
- Representation of international corporation in defense of a catastrophic tort claim.
- Representation of a solar and renewable energy business in a breach of contract matter.
- Representation of a non-profit organization in contract dispute.
- Representation of various creditors in collection matters.
- Successful representation of a private equity consulting group in breach of contract claim involving proprietary trade secrets and unpaid retainer fees owed.
Personal Injury Litigation
- Successfully negotiated hundreds of personal injury and medical malpractice actions involving claims ranging from small five figure matters to nine figure claims.
- Successfully tried dozens of personal injury claims to verdict.
- Ongoing representation of plaintiffs in general negligence, motor vehicle, premises liability, and medical malpractice claims.
- Recent notable verdicts: $350,000 jury verdict in premises liability claim.
Civil Rights Litigation
- Representation of several plaintiffs in a variety of Section 1983 actions.
- Representation of prisoners in conditions of confinement claims.
- Representation of individuals in Eighth Amendment claims concerning inadequate medical treatment.
- Representation of individuals with disabilities who are denied equal access and opportunities to programs and services because of their disabilities.
- $2.7 million jury verdict in civil rights claim against State government.
- Representation of receiver in a receivership prosecuted by the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Real Estate Litigation
- Representation of a municipality in an inverse condemnation proceeding resulting from environmental contamination.
- Representation of condominium association in defending claims related to bylaws.
- Successful resolution of commercial real estate purchase dispute involving sale of business assets and real estate.
Outside General Counsel
- Serve as outside general counsel to a local non-profit organization specializing in psychiatric rehabilitation for children and adults in need.
- Serve as outside general counsel to money services business.
- Ongoing representation of various cannabis entities and consortiums.
- Counsel financial institutions, insurers, and other ancillary businesses on implementation of cannabis laws and their interplay with existing statutory schemes.
- Serve as outside general counsel to private equity consulting group.
- Serve as outside general counsel to several faith-based organizations.
- Serve as outside general counsel to CBD/Hemp retailer and processor.
- Ongoing representation of clients from Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service.
- Volunteer at Jewish Community Services pro bono legal clinic.
- Serves as pro bono counsel in discrete appointments by the United States District Court for the District of Maryland.
FINRA Securities Litigation
- Successfully resolved broker misconduct claim involving unsuitability, unauthorized trading, and failure to supervise.
Cannabis lawAllen’s cannabis practice focuses on facilitating responsible growth in the industry, with a specific focus on deconstructing prohibition-era policies and promulgating responsible and sustainable frameworks for continued growth in this burgeoning space.
- Serve as outside general counsel to entities in all facets of the space, including cannabis cultivation/processing/dispensing, and hemp-derived CBD, industrial hemp processing and extraction.
- Ongoing representation of ancillary businesses, like banks, insurers, and transporters.
- Provide guidance to operators on state regulatory schemes and the interplay between state and federal law
- Ongoing counsel to operators and investors in deal structure (both buy and sell-side), acquisition, transfer, and licensing
- Counseled elder age homes on regulatory compliant, but practical cannabis policies
- General corporate governance and transactional advice to startups and well-established operators
commercial law Litigation
- Specializes in interpreting and applying Article 3 of the Maryland Commercial Code (negotiable instruments), and routinely litigates Article 3 claims in both trial and appellate matters.
- Ongoing mentorship activities with the University of Baltimore School of Law.
BigLaw 101 for Law Students, University of Baltimore School of Law, (February 6, 2019)
Understanding the Impact of Legalization of Medical Marijuana, Whiteford, Taylor & Preston Webinar (September 2018)
Speed Networking, Women’s Bar Association, University of Baltimore School of Law (2018)
1L Career Development Orientation, University of Baltimore School of Law (2017)
Business of Law Seminar, University of Baltimore School of Law (2016)