Ms. Atkinson focuses her practice on federal, state, local and international taxation and employee benefit matters with emphasis on tax controversy, employment tax issues, and tax and benefits planning. She also practices entertainment law with a focus on tax issues.
She advises employers on the tax and ERISA implications of employee benefit programs including compliance with the Affordable Care Act, taxable and non-taxable fringe benefit plans, multi-employer plans and plan filings and issues involving claims against fiduciaries of plans.
Ms. Atkinson has extensive experience in tax planning and tax litigation. She handles administrative and judicial controversies, which have included favorable resolution of numerous audits, appeals and collections matters. She has testified before Congress and has spoken to numerous groups including CPAs, attorneys, enrolled agents and judges on a wide variety of issues such as offers in compromise, entity formation, sales and use tax, IRS and state collection issues, and 1031 exchanges. Ms. Atkinson advises clients, including CPAs and other legal professionals, on the mitigation of tax and penalty risks related to tax reporting and compliance.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® in the fields of Litigation & Controversy - Tax, and Tax Law, 2008 - Present. 2020 Litigation and Controversy - Tax "Lawyer of the Year."
- Listed in Virginia Business magazine's "Legal Elite" in the fields of Taxes/Estates/Trusts/Elder Law, 2011–2012, 2017
- Listed as a Virginia Super Lawyer in Tax, 2010 - Present
- Named Best Lawyers' 2016 and 2018 Norfolk, VA Tax Law "Lawyer of the Year"
- Recognized as a "Top Lawyer" by Coastal Virginia Magazine, 2020
- Recognized as one of the "Top 50 Women Super Lawyers in Virginia" by Law & Politics magazine, 2012–2013
- American Bar Association, Tax Section, Pro Bono Award, 2002
Memberships and Activities
- American Bar Association: Tax Section, Nominating Committee; former Chair, Low Income Taxpayers Committee
- Virginia Bar Association: Past Chair, Taxation Council
- Hampton Roads Tax Forum: Past President
- The Community Tax Law Project: Chair, Advisory Board