For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recently named "Business Litigation Attorney of the Year in Maryland" by Global Law Experts, as well as Corporate International Magazine, Ms. Subar has acquired extensive litigation experience over the past 20+ years at the firm as a trial and appellate advocate. Ms. Subar has also been recognized as one of Maryland's "Leading Women" by the Daily Record, and a "Rising Star" by Maryland Super Lawyers.
Ms. Subar has represented companies of varying sizes and individuals in various state and federal courts in a wide variety of complex commercial matters involving breach of contract, fraud and other business torts, intellectual property, insurance, real estate, bankruptcy, and employment. Over the years, Ms. Subar has handled numerous injunction proceedings, many involving trade secrets and enforcement of non-competition provisions and confidentiality agreements.
Ms. Subar has extensive appellate experience, including appeals to the Maryland Court of Appeals, Maryland Court of Special Appeals, D.C. Court of Appeals, and U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. Ms. Subar's practice also includes mediations and arbitrations, and counseling clients regarding Electronically Stored Information (ESI) and other litigation-related matters.
- Named "Business Litigation Attorney of the Year in Maryland" by Global Law Experts (2015)
- Named "Business Litigation Attorney of the Year in Maryland" by Corporate International Magazine (2015, 2014)
- Named one of Maryland's Leading Women by The Daily Record , 2011
- Named a "Rising Star" by Maryland Super Lawyers (2010-2012)
Memberships & Activities
- Co-Chair: WTP's International Trade and Transactions Industry Group
- Co-Chair:WTP's Women's Initiative Network
- Governing Board Member: Lexwork Americas Governing Board, Lexwork International (8/06-present); Served as Vice-Chair in 2008 and Chair in 2009
- Member: Maryland State Bar Association
- Board Member: American Associates of Ben Gurion University (2015-present)
- Board Member: Baltimore Jewish Council (2004-2011)
- Leadership Committee Member: Attorneys for Community Mediation Campaign (2006-present)
- Volunteer: Maryland Volunteer Lawyer Service (1997-present)
- Vice President: MammoJam Music Festival, Inc. (2008-present)
- Obtained a temporary restraining order (TRO) and a preliminary injunction on behalf of a spice manufacturer/distributor and against its former territory manager for the entire Mid-Atlantic region who began working for a competitor spice company in violation of his non-competition agreement
- Defended a $20 million dollar breach of contract suit filed against a Maryland-based telecommunications client in Tennessee state court
- Represented a national telecommunications carrier in consumer class actions in Maryland and D.C.
- From 1999 through 2004, involved in two separate lawsuits against the same foreign car manufacturer and two of its U.S. subsidiaries: one suit on behalf of objectors to a class action settlement in federal multi-district litigation, resulting in a favorable settlement for the objectors after full briefing in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit; and a subsequent suit on behalf of two Ohio car dealerships against the manufacturer for conspiracy and RICO violations arising out of one of the largest bribery and kickback schemes involving many of its high-ranking executives
- Member of litigation team representing attorneys in a landmark $70 million recovery in a contingency fee dispute
- Served as outside legal counsel to the Baltimore City Board of Ethics for over five years, on a pro bono basis, investigating ethics complaints and preparing advisory opinions on a wide range of ethics issues
Intellectual Property & Trade Secret Litigation
- Represented a foreign-based software company in a trademark and copyright infringement suit involving issues of first impression on the interpretation of an open-source software license
- Handled a federal suit on behalf of an education/tutoring franchisor against former franchisee for trademark and copyright infringement, unfair competition, and trade secret misappropriation
- Represented software development company in a suit against three of its high-level former employees and a competitor company for misappropriation of trade secrets, unfair competition, interference with contract, and breach of contract
- Represented GMP manufacturer of cell based therapeutic products in trade secret dispute
- Represented global company that provides tax/accounting services in a trade secret case against an individual who had sold his tax/accounting business to that company. Case resulted in $1.5 million trial verdict in favor of client (including punitive damages) and an injunction against the individual.
- Defended two former executives in trade secret lawsuit brought against them by their former employer who owned and operated a job placement website that provided job listings and related services to employers and job seekers
- Represented spice manufacturer/distributor in a trade secret dispute against its former territory manager for the entire Mid-Atlantic region who began working for a competitor in violation of his non-compete
- Represented global lessor of mobile offices, modular buildings, storage container units and storage trailers in a suit brought against one of its competitors and former high-level employees for trade secret violations, tortious interference, and breach of contract
- Defended former employee and his new employer competing against suit brought by former employer in the specialty flooring business alleging misappropriation of trade secrets, tortious interference with contract, and breach of contract
- Represented insurance brokerage company in suit brought against one of its former high-level executive employees and a competing brokerage company for misappropriation of trade secrets and breach of contract
- Protected a client's trademark by receiving a favorable ruling in a domain name dispute before the National Arbitration Forum, requiring the opposing party to transfer its domain name that included the client's trademark
- On behalf of an auto-repair franchisor client, was successful in protecting trade secrets and enforcing 8 separate non-competition and confidentiality agreements. Successfully obtained the requested TRO and preliminary injunction in federal court, prohibiting each of the 8 defendant franchisees from violating their non-compete agreements
- Involved in out-of-state litigation, culminating in a 7-figure result against a national fast food franchise chain in a breach of contract action
- On behalf of a commercial cleaning business franchisor, was successful in obtaining a dismissal of a suit filed by one of its franchisees in Maryland
- Represented tax preparation franchisee in litigation with its franchisor
- Represented numerous hotel franchisees against their franchisor in arbitrations
- Obtained a $45+ million verdict after a 16-day trial and voluminous post-trial briefing on behalf of a UAE telecommunications client and against its joint venture partner who was found to have committed fraud, breached his fiduciary duties, and breached multiple provisions of the parties' agreement to deploy a cellular network in Iraq
- Defended a Canadian architectural firm against a counterclaim filed against it seeking compensatory damages of $10 Million, plus punitive damages, stemming from a Canadian investor's failed bid for a casino license in Maryland
- Protected a Spanish client's trademark by receiving a favorable ruling in domain name dispute before the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
- For over 10 years, engaged in representation of Baltimore City's School Board in state court litigation involving constitutional issues of adequacy of education and funding. The case went up on appeal to Maryland's highest court multiple times
- Obtained a favorable decision from the D.C. Court of Appeals, after full briefing of the issues, in which the court found that attorneys who represented a hospital in a medical malpractice case during which the hospital went into bankruptcy could not recover from the excess insurance carrier for its unpaid fees
Real Estate Litigation
- Handled over 150 commercial lease disputes for national real estate development companies
- Successfully defended multi-million dollar lawsuit in which a real estate broker prematurely sought a multi-million dollar commission in connection with a commercial property. The trial court granted summary judgment in favor of our client, and this decision was affirmed on appeal
- Independently handled a piece of litigation on behalf of a California development company who sought specific performance of a real estate contract for a 1.5 acre property
Insurance Coverage & Defense Litigation
- Successfully defended various transportation clients, including Amtrak, CSX, and the Maryland Aviation Administration in personal injury, FELA, and premises liability lawsuits
- Represented numerous insurers with regard to insurance coverage litigation and the provision of insurance coverage opinion letters
Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Represented many clients in court-appointed mediations (both state and federal), as well as private mediations
- Involved in various arbitration proceedings, including arbitrations under the auspices of the American Arbitration Association
Cyber Security, Data Management & Privacy
- Advised cyber security company regarding government contracting and related employment, non-compete issues
- Assist clients to manage risks and reduce their exposure to litigation and investigations arising from the handling of data
- Member of the firm’s Cyber Security Industry Group which studies the continual evolution of cyber security issues and developments
Electronically Stored Information (ESI)
- Regularly represent clients with respect to the discovery and management of electronic information, including the preservation, collection, review, and production of electronically stored information
- Handled numerous discovery disputes involving electronically stored information and discovery procedures and protocols
- Regularly work with clients to develop best practices and cost-effective policies for ESI
Moderator at American Bar Association’s Women Rainmakers Fall 2017 Program, Niche Marketing: How to Identify and Target Your Ideal Clients, September 2017
Presenter at Lexwork Americas Litigation Meeting -- A Comparison of Arbitration and Mediation Forums, March 2017
Presenter at Maryland State Bar Association Business Law Institute -- Contract Rescissions Generally as an Equity Matter and in Franchise Agreements, April 2016
Interviewed on Executive Leaders Radio Program, regarding her numerous leadership roles at her firm and in the community, April 2016
Presenter at Lexwork Americas Litigation Meeting -- 2015 Amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure in the U.S., January 2016
Author of False Claims Act Investigations: Ten Best Practices for Complying with DOJ Subpoenas, in Chesapeake Physician Magazine, January/February 2015
Presenter at Lexwork Americas Litigation Meeting -- Health Care Fraud & the False Claims Act (31 U.S.C. § 3729, et seq.), September 2014
Presenter at Lexwork Americas Litigation Meeting -- Major Changes in U.S. Federal Subpoena Practice Coming Soon, November 2013
Presenter at Lexwork Americas Litigation Meeting – Temporary Restraining Orders & Preliminary Injunctions in Federal and State Courts, May 2013
Author/Editor of WTP’s 2013 International Year in Review, 2013
Author/Editor of WTP’s 2012 International Year in Review, 2012
Author/Editor of WTP’s 2011 International Year in Review, 2011
For more information, please contact email@example.com.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ilana Subar Named "Business Litigation Attorney of the Year in Maryland - 2015" by Global Law Experts
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston is pleased to announce that Ilana Subar, a litigation partner in its Baltimore office, has been named “Business Litigation Attorney of the Year in Maryland - 2015” by Global Law Experts (GLE).
GLE is the world’s leading online resource for locating specialist legal advisors for the services required by businesses, investors and individuals, and its website has shown double digit user growth each month since inception with currently over 30,000 users visiting the website each month.
Ilana Subar, a litigation partner in the Baltimore office has once again been named ‘Business Litigation Attorney of the Year in Maryland’ by Corporate International Magazine, a British publication targeted at the finance industry worldwide that researches leading law firms and lawyers in a wide variety of practice areas internationally.
Ilana Subar wrote an article, "False Claims Act Investigations: Ten Best Practices for Complying with DOJ Subpoenas", that appears in the January/February 2015 issue of Chesapeake Physician Magazine. Click here to read the full article.
Ilana Subar, a litigation partner in the Baltimore office has been named ‘Business Litigation Attorney of the Year in Maryland’ by Corporate International Magazine, a British publication targeted at the finance industry worldwide that researches leading law firms and lawyers in a wide variety of practice areas internationally. Ms. Subar, who has also been named one of Maryland's "Leading Women" by The Daily Record, and a "Rising Star" by Maryland Super Lawyers, has extensive litigation experience as a trial and appellate advocate.
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston is pleased to announce that 64 of its attorneys are listed among the 2013 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in three states.
The firm is particularly proud of the young lawyers who are recognized as “Rising Stars”; the four partners who are listed in the Top 100 in Maryland – Edward Buxbaum, Edwin Fee, William Ryan, and Dwight Stone; and the 16 who are named for the first time this year.
Forty-Six Whiteford, Taylor & Preston Attorneys Named Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in Maryland; Five in Maryland Listed in “Top 100”
The firm is particularly proud of the five who are listed in the Top 100 in Maryland – Edward Buxbaum, Edwin Fee, Paul Nussbaum, William Ryan, and Dwight Stone. Selection of the Top 100 lawyers in a jurisdiction is strictly based on the highest scores in the Super Lawyer judging process, and Whiteford is one of the two firms with the most names on the list.
On December 1, 2011, The Daily Record will celebrate the achievements of the 2011 “Leading Women.” WTP is proud to announce that Ilana Subar, a partner in its Business Litigation practice group, was selected for her outstanding professional and civic accomplishments.
The Daily Record notes that its Leading Women awards identify women age 40 or younger for “the tremendous accomplishments they have made so far in their career, [including] professional experience, community involvement and commitment to inspiring change.”
Forty-Seven Whiteford, Taylor & Preston Attorneys Named Super Lawyers and Rising Stars; More Named in "Top 50" Than Any Other Maryland Law Firm
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston is pleased to announce that 47 of its attorneys are listed among the 2011 Maryland and Virginia Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston is pleased to announce that 39 of its attorneys are listed among the 2010 Maryland Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. They join three attorneys previously named as Super Lawyers or Rising Stars in Virginia.
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston L.L.P. is pleased to announce that seven attorneys have been elected partners. The firm congratulates Edward U. Lee III, Dana O. Lynch, Cameron J. MacDonald, Raymond L. Marshall, Aryeh E. Stein, Ilana Subar, and Eric A. Vendt.