Mr. Gray's practice focuses on nonprofit, tax-exempt and charitable advisory services, estate planning, charitable giving, trust and estate administration, and fiduciary litigation.
Mr. Gray is a founding director and former president of the Virginia Gift Planning Council, a former director of the National Association of Charitable Gift Planners, and a Fellow of the American College of Trust & Estate Counsel. He also serves on the Virginia Bar Association committee that reviews and drafts state legislation pertaining to trusts and estates, and has published annual updates on trusts and estates legislation and Virginia Supreme Court decisions for over thirty years.
He is a frequent speaker in state and national programs, including those sponsored by professional groups, the Nonprofit Learning Point, the University of Richmond Institute of Philanthropy, and various community groups, on such topics as charitable giving, estate planning, forming nonprofits, lobbying and advocacy, and ongoing compliance issues.
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Non-Profit/Charities Law, Tax Law, Trusts and Estates, Woodward/White, Inc., 2018-2019
- Selected for inclusion in “Super Lawyers,” Virginia Super Lawyers magazine, 2008-present
- Selected for inclusion in “Legal Elite,” Virginia Business magazine, 2006-present
- Leaders in the Law, Virginia Lawyers Weekly, Class of 2015
Memberships & Activities
- Fellow: The American College of Trust & Estate Counsel
- Past Board Member: National Association of Charitable Gift Planners
- Founding Director and Former President: Virginia Gift Planning Council
- Director (Chair 2008-2011): Virginia Network of Nonprofit Organizations (VANNO), 2006-2011
- Member: American Bar Association, Taxation Section, Exempt Organizations Committee; Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section