Legislation to amend the D.C. Condominium Act, D.C. Act 21-657, (the “Act”) has been approved by the D.C. Council, signed by the Mayor and is awaiting the end of the mandatory congressional review period. The legislation is currently expected to go into effect on April 7, 2017.
Jane Saindon Rogers
Ms. Rogers focuses her practice on representing condominium and homeowners associations throughout D.C., Maryland and Virginia, dealing with the full range of issues confronting community associations. Ms. Rogers chairs the D.C. Legislative Action Committee of the Community Associations Institute and was instrumental in advising the D.C. Council on the 2014 Amendments to the D.C. Condominium Act. In addition to her community associations practice, Ms. Rogers has litigated complex construction/surety and fidelity/specialty bond cases in federal and state courts.
Memberships & Activities
- Chair: D.C. Legislative Action Committee of the Community Associations Institute
- Member: District of Columbia Bar Association
- Member: Maryland State Bar Association
- Member: Virginia State Bar Association
- Member: American Bar Association
- Has advised and represented community associations on a wide range of issues
- Testimony before the D.C. Council on Amendments to the District of Columbia Condominium Act
- Provided advice, reviewed and perfected claims in Maryland, the District of Columbia and Virginia
- Has litigated complex construction/surety cases in federal and state courts
- Has litigated fidelity/specialty bond cases in state courts in Maryland, the District of Columbia and Virginia
- Has advanced and defended mechanics’ lien cases in Maryland, the District of Columbia and Virginia
Health Care Litigation
- Has defended medical malpractice cases, including nursing home cases involving amputations from gangrene and fall downs. Has defended cases in the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia
WMCCAI Webinar: D.C. Condo Amendment Act of 2014, January 2015
WMCCAI Conference & Expo: D.C. Condo Amendment Act of 2014, March 2015
The D.C. Department of Housing and Community Development maintains a list of Community-Based Non-Profit Organizations that provide housing counseling services. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (“HUD”) sponsors housing counseling agencies that can provide advice on buying a home, renting, defaults, foreclosures, and credit issues.
Legislation to amend the District of Columbia Condominium Act was signed by Mayor Gray on April 28, 2014, and will go into effect as soon as the mandatory Congressional review period has expired. Hopefully, that will be sometime before June 15, 2014.
Maryland has new local stormwater fees that will be implemented in certain counties beginning July 1, 2013.
The good news for District of Columbia residents is that the real estate market is strong, prices of condominiums, in particular, are rebounding, and the foreclosure rate is low. All these things are true, but they do not tell the real story about foreclosures and the underlying effects on community associations in the District of Columbia.
On June 20, 2009, Dale City, Virginia, Volunteer Fire Department opened its new Station 10, the second "green" fire station on the East Coast and only the ninth developed and built in the United States. Station 10 was awarded a LEED Gold Rating from the United States Green Building Council.
This workshop will focus on two modules from the Board Leadership Development Workshop. In addition, experienced managers and attorneys from D.C. will provide training to improve understanding of community association financial statements. The program will provide updates regarding legislative action in the city.
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston is pleased to announce that L. Katherine Good, Brandy M. Rapp, Jane Saindon Rogers and M. Trent Zivkovich have been named Partners of the firm, effective January 1, 2017.
The firm’s managing partner, Martin T. Fletcher, commented, “It is a privilege to welcome these fine attorneys into their new and expanded roles in the firm. Each of them has continued to make tremendous contributions to our expanding client base and growing geographic profile.”