Joseph "Ricky" Lefft
Ricky Lefft has significant experience providing legal counsel and representation to intercollegiate and professional coaches, players, athletic directors and team administrators. He has extensive experience in drafting and negotiating coaches’ employment contracts with institutions of higher education and professional teams and handles commercial transactions associated with coaches’ and players’ marketing and advertising endeavors. He also represents coaches and athletes with regards to NCAA compliance and disciplinary matters associated with alleged violations of NCAA and university bylaws, including Title IX issues, banned substances, and eligibility disputes.
Ricky has over 30 years of experience as a sports attorney and is an active member of the Sports Lawyers Association. He currently serves as legal counsel to the National Association for Coaching Equity and Development (NAFCED), an advocacy and professional development organization focused on enhancing opportunities for racial and ethnic minority coaches and student athletes. He has been a frequent speaker for the Black Coaches Association’s Coaching Excellence Program and the BCA and NCAA’s Expert Coaching Academy. He was a sports law professor at the University of South Carolina in the Department of Sport and Entertainment Management for 14 years.
Memberships & Activities
- Member: Ohio Bar Association
- Member: South Carolina Bar Association
- Member: Sports Lawyers Association
- Board Member: Special Olympics, South Carolina Chapter
- Board Member: American Cancer Society, Midlands Chapter
- Board Member: Palmetto Health Foundation
- Board Member: University of South Carolina's Alumni Board of Governors
- Member: University of South Carolina Alumni Association