Mr. Abrams is a Senior Counsel in the Business Reorganizations and Bankruptcy group and a leading practitioner in bankruptcy/restructuring. He has been instrumental, principally on behalf of debtors, in several complex chapter 11 cases and non-judicial restructurings. He also has extensive experience representing creditors’ committees and groups, opportunistic investors, pension plans and governmental guaranty funds and lenders. In addition, he has maintained a substantial cross-border practice involving foreign insolvency regimes and related cases under the Bankruptcy Code, including chapter 15 cases.
Throughout his career, Mr. Abrams has regularly produced superior results on behalf of company-side clients in numerous complex chapter 11 cases and in several out-of-court restructurings, including seminal cases such as Adelphia Communications Corp., Angiotech Pharmaceuticals (chapter 15) and Teksid, Inc. In addition, he is a recognized leader and key advisor in cross-border representations. He frequently represents clients in the automotive, cable, construction, entertainment/recreation, financial products, health care, high-tech, hospitality, manufacturing, media, mining, retail, telecommunications and transportation industries.
. Mr. Abrams regularly represents key stakeholders in both chapter 11 and out-of-court restructurings, including official and unofficial committees, strategic investors, purchasers and major creditors. As an industry leader, he is regularly called upon for his guidance and experience.
- Global M&A Network Turnaround Atlas Awards -2017
- Named on the Global M&A Network’s 2017 “A-List,” recognizing the top 100 restructuring & turnaround professionals
- 2011 Professor Lawrence P. King Award in recognition of his achievements in the field of bankruptcy law and for his leadership in philanthropy
- "2009 Dealmaker of the Year" by The American Lawyer (April 2010) for his work in the Delphi Corporation restructuring
- Recognized as one of the 500 Leading Lawyers in America in the Lawdragon 500 guide (2010)
- Received the 2012 IFLR Americas Awards in the "Restructuring Deal of the Year" category for his lead role in the cross-border (Canada/U.S.) restructuring of Angiotech Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Consistently recognized by Chambers Global and Chambers USA as a leading practitioner in Bankruptcy/Restructuring
Memberships & Activities
- Fellow and Board Member: American College of Bankruptcy (Former Circuit Regent 2010-2014)
- Fellow: Litigation Counsel of America, The Trial Lawyer Honorary Society
- Member: Diversity Law Institute
- Member: Trial Law Institute
- Former Advisory Board Member: ABI’s Annual “Views from the Bench” Conference