Masten Childers III
Prior to joining Whiteford, Taylor & Preston, LLP, Mr. Childers spent years representing insurance, healthcare, banking and general business clients in their capacities as both plaintiffs and defendants by helping them resolve a wide range of disputes, including tort liability; lender liability; complex business disputes; breach of contract; shareholder/member disputes; breach of fiduciary duty; breach of non-compete agreement; insurance coverage disputes; slander and libel. Mr. Childers also brings with him extensive experience in representing plaintiffs in personal injury actions throughout the Commonwealth.
In addition to continuing to provide litigation services in the corporate/business and banking world, Mr. Childers represents Plaintiffs in Medical Malpractice actions, Personal Injury claims, Wrongful Death and Toxic Tort litigation.
Mr. Childers has extensive experience in state courts throughout the Commonwealth, the Eastern and Western Districts of Kentucky, the Kentucky Court of Appeals, the Kentucky Supreme Court as well as litigation on the national level. Mr. Childers utilizes this experience in representing his clients at Whiteford, Taylor & Preston, LLP throughout the country.
- Listed in Kentucky Super Lawyers as a "Rising Star," 2017 - present
- Litigated numerous business cases relating to breach of contract, shareholder/member disputes, breach of fiduciary duties, breaches of non-compete agreements, insurance coverage disputes, tortious interference with contractual rights, and unfair competition claims
- Represented numerous corporate clients in shareholder litigation adverse to former members of LLCs, employees, and vendors
- Co-counsel to the Kentucky Department of Revenue which obtained summary judgment against the Online Travel Companies for unremitted tax revenue to the Commonwealth. Department of Revenue, et al. v. Expedia, Inc., et al., Franklin Circuit Court, Division II, Civil Action 13-CI-00828 (Opinion and Order entered March 16, 2016)
- Represented individual and corporate clients in prosecuting lender liability suits against national and regional banks
- Litigated successfully on behalf of numerous Kentucky banks in various litigation matters including prosecuting claims against defaulted borrowers; defending lender liability claims; defending claims asserting violations of the Fair Debt Credit Reporting Act; defending regulatory actions by state Banking Commission; defending Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) claims, defending title insurance claims
- Provided litigation support to private equity lenders, mezzanine lenders, and other niche financial companies
- Defended Developers, Architects, and Contractors in numerous construction litigation matters including but not limited to contractual disputes, construction defect cases, and indemnification claims
- Represented property owners in actions against Developers, Architects, and Contractors for a myriad of issues related to design and construction of homes and commercial properties
- Extensive litigation experience in commercial and civil litigation in state, federal, and appellate courts in the insurance litigation/defense realm including coverage disputes, automobile liability, premises liability, products liability, municipal liability, public sector liability, Section 1983 litigation, professional liability, employment matters, coverage, pre-litigation assessment, mediation, arbitration, and administrative hearings
Real Estate Litigation
- Represented buyers, sellers, real estate agents, and brokers in various contractual disputes arising from the marketing, sale, and/or purchase of homes and commercial properties