Michael Roeschenthaler co-presents at the inaugural Berkeley Research Group (BRG) Healthcare Restructuring Conference. He will speak on “The Cost-Cutting Imperative and Restructuring Strategies for Hospitals and Health Systems" with Michael Myers, VP of Healthcare of Meridian Leasing.
Michael J. Roeschenthaler
Mr. Roeschenthaler is a business solutions lawyer, with a focus on financial restructuring, corporate turnarounds, distressed asset transactions, bankruptcy and insolvency law. He has a wide range of experience in the representation of the various stakeholders in financially distressed situations, including, but not limited to, corporate debtors, asset acquirers, equity holders, ad hoc and court-appointed committees, and individual creditors. His practice spans the United States.
Due to the nature of his practice, Mr. Roeschenthaler is called upon to problem solve within numerous industry sectors. He has significant experience within the following industries: mining (coal, natural gas and copper), manufacturing, metals, health care, hospitality, food and beverage, retail, commercial real estate, automotive and construction, and the breadth of his knowledge reaches well beyond these markets.
- Listed in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, 2013-2018
- Recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, published by Chambers and Partners, 2017-2018
- Named to Pennsylvania "Rising Stars,” Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights, Super Lawyers, 2008, 2010, 2011
Memberships & Activities
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Member, Bankruptcy and Commercial Law Section Council, Allegheny County Bar Association
- Member, Turnaround Management Association
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member, West Virginia Land & Mineral Owners Association
Mr. Roeschenthaler’s experience includes representation of:
- A regional hospital system in an out-of-court restructuring/sale.
- Physician medical practices in out-of-court workouts.
- Multiple creditors’ committees appointed in chapter 11 cases of franchise restaurant chains.
- International company in business acquisitions.
- Hotels in both chapter 11 cases and out-of-court workouts.
- A brewing and distribution company in chapter 11.
- International companies in cross-border insolvencies.
- Healthcare C-suite professionals in contract matters.
- A rural hospital system in an out-of-court restructuring.
- A creditors' committee appointed in a chapter 11 case involving a thermal processing company/servicer to the energy industry.
- A metals processor as debtor’s counsel in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy case.
- Numerous landowners in large coal producer bankruptcy cases.
- Trustee of one of largest hospital restructurings in Western Pennsylvania history.
- Out-of-court workouts involving hospitals in Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Ohio.
- A real estate developer in out-of-court workout of ski and golf community consisting of more than 750 residences.
- A creditors' committee (and subsequently liquidating trustee) appointed in Chapter 11 bankruptcy of family-style restaurant chain.
- A metals casting foundry in out-of-court workout involving the sale of substantially all assets.
- Fortune 500 company involved with industrial supply and distribution in creditors' rights matters.
- One of the world’s largest integrated aluminum companies in creditor’s rights matters.
- Fortune 100 company in Chapter 11 bankruptcy of an automotive parts supplier and other matters.
- Seafood restaurant and wholesaler in out-of-court workout.
- Private equity funds in various debt finance transactions.
- Creditors' committees appointed in copper mining bankruptcy cases.
- An asset acquirer in bankruptcy sale process involving a copper company.
- Creditors' committees appointed in numerous coal mining bankruptcy cases.
- An asset acquirer in bankruptcy sale process involving supermarket chain.
- Franchisee motorcycle dealer as debtor’s counsel in Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
- A creditors' committee appointed in the bankruptcy cases of a multi-national manufacturer of aluminum extrusions.
- Multi-national company in acquisition of intellectual property assets from bankruptcy estate.
- The holder of an overriding royalty interest in mining bankruptcy cases.
- An information technology company in an out-of-court workout.
- Senior management in employment contract negotiations with employer.
- A restaurant in strike-ending labor negotiations.
- Senior management in negotiations relating to severance benefits.
- Landowners in coal mining bankruptcy cases.
- Equity holders in large real estate development bankruptcy cases.
- A specialty metals processor in general business matters.
- Various coal companies in general business matters as well as restructuring, transactional and environmental matters.
- Independent medical practice group restructuring involving issues under Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute.
- Physician practice group representations.
- A medical device company in contract litigation.
- A Fortune 500 gas company in the bankruptcy of a metals company.
- A building supplies company in an out-of-court workout.
- Contract parties in an oil and gas transaction.
- Equity holder in shareholder dispute of gauge and tool company.
- Medical practice in workout involving obligations under the False Claims Act.
- Liquidating trustee formed in connection with Chapter 11 plan of supplier of automotive cast components.
- A creditors' committee appointed in the bankruptcy case of an industrial recycler.
- A toy retailer as debtor’s counsel in Chapter 11.
- A real estate brokerage company in general matters.
- Creditors' committee formed in Chapter 11 bankruptcy of title insurance company.
- Private equity fund in acquisition of assets from a bankruptcy estate.
- Secured creditors and financial institutions in various bankruptcy cases and insolvency proceedings.
- Commercial real estate developers in out-of-court workouts.
- Multiple coal companies as debtors’ counsel in Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases.
- Equipment lessors in Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 bankruptcy cases.
- A group of telecommunications companies in Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases.
- A craft brewery and restaurant group in Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases.
Co-author, "Prepackaged Chapter 11 Case Considerations and Techniques" in ABA Reorganizing Failing Businesses, Third Edition, A Comprehensive Review and Analysis of Financial Restructuring and Business Reorganization Volume II
Contributor, "Can a Bankruptcy Trustee Avoid an Election to be Treated as a Corporation," Journal of Taxation, August 2012
Co-author, "When the 363 Sale is the Best Route," Journal of Bankruptcy Law and Practice, Vol. 15, No. 2 (2006)
Speaker, "Strategies for Extending the Runway to Facilitate a Restructuring in Hospitals and Health Systems," The BRG Healthcare Restructuring Conference, April 2018
Speaker, "Maximizing Value and Minimizing Risk in Shale Related Insolvencies," The Bakken Conference & Expo, July 2017
Speaker, "Understanding the Intricacies of a Coal Bankruptcy,” 29th Annual Bankruptcy Symposium of the Allegheny County Bar Association, December 2016
Speaker, "Environmental Issues in Coal Bankruptcies," West Virginia Land and Mineral Owners Association, May 2014
Speaker, "Understanding the Rough Terrain of Coal Mining Insolvencies," West Virginia Land and Minerals Owners Association, May 2013
Speaker, "Effects of a Coal Lessee's Bankruptcy on Landowners in a Chapter 11 Case," West Virginia Land and Minerals Owners Association Fall Seminar, October 2012
Speaker, "Financial Distress in the Coal Industry: Options for Buyers and Producers," 11th Annual Coal Industry Briefing, September 2012
Speaker, "Maximizing Credit Group Recoveries," Pennsylvania Association of Credit Management, August 2012
Guest Lecturer, "Advanced Bankruptcy," University of Pittsburgh School of Law, September 2008, March 2011
Speaker, "Federal Tax Considerations in Bankruptcy," 23rd Annual Bankruptcy Symposium of the Allegheny County Bar Association, December 2010
Speaker, "Bankruptcy Sales," Turnaround Management Association, May 2010
Speaker, "Bankruptcy's Greatest Hits (10 Top Commercial Cases)," 22nd Annual Bankruptcy Symposium of Allegheny County Bar Association, December 2009
Speaker, "Litigating in the Bankruptcy Court," 47th Annual Bench-Bar Conference of the Allegheny County Bar Association, June 2009
Panelist, "Interactions Among Restructuring Professionals," Turnaround Management Association, June 2009
Speaker, "The 2007 Amendments to the Federal Rules of Bankruptcy Procedure: An Overview for the Bankruptcy Practitioner," Bankruptcy Law Mountaineer Series 2008, December 2008
Speaker, "Representing Commercial Landlords in Bankruptcy," Bankruptcy Law Mountaineer Series 2008, December 2008
Speaker, "The Collision of the Automotive and Plastics Industries with the Bankruptcy Courts," Allegheny County Bar Association, November 2008
Speaker, "Automotive Bankruptcy Workshop," American Metal Market’s 3rd Annual Automotive Metals Conference, October 2008
Speaker, "A Roadmap for Representing Commercial Landlords in Bankruptcy," Allegheny County Bar Association, November 2007
Speaker, "Drafting Commercial Real Estate Leases: The Ins and Outs of Protecting Your Interests," The National Business Institute, October 2007
Speaker, "A Primer on Bankruptcy Law," Allegheny County Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, September 2007
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston is pleased to announce that three of its attorneys are listed among the 2018 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in Pennsylvania.
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston is pleased to announce that five of its attorneys are listed among the 2017 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in Delaware and Pennsylvania.
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston is pleased to announce that Chambers and Partners has once again ranked the firm highly in its 2017 list of leading firms and business lawyers. This year’s recognition includes a record 29 attorneys in 4 states, the District of Columbia and Afghanistan.
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston is pleased to announce that three of its attorneys are listed among the 2016 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in Delaware.
Whiteford Taylor & Preston announced today that Michael J. Roeschenthaler, a preeminent Pittsburgh-based bankruptcy and restructuring lawyer, has joined the firm and will reside in a new office the firm has opened in Pittsburgh. Over the course of 15 years, Mr. Roeschenthaler has built a national reputation representing stakeholders in financially distressed situations in a wide range of sectors.