Thomas C. Barbuti
- Representation of public agency in negotiating and documenting public/private joint development disposition agreements, leases and related documentation.
- Representation of a non-profit hospital in the creation of a "landominium" and the ground leasing of two units for medical office building construction.
- Representation of developers in mixed-use projects including retail, office, and parking.
- Representation of numerous retailers, including grocery stores and specialty retailers, in negotiating and documenting acquisition contracts, leases and reciprocal easement agreements
- Representation of Fortune 500 "Big Box" retailer in connection with acquisition and construction of more than 60 stores throughout the United States.
- Representation of landlord in leasing "Big Box" locations to leading national specialty retailers such as Circuit City, Best Buy, Office Depot, Staples, Burlington Coat Factory, Bed Bath & Beyond, Barnes & Noble and Dick's Sporting Goods.
- Representation of shopping center developers in connection with acquisition, development, construction and leasing of strip shopping centers and regional malls.
- Handled disposition by sublease of 233,000 square foot headquarters office building in Washington, D.C. suburbs.
- Handled sale of several large office buildings in downtown Baltimore, Maryland.
- Representation of developer in development of over 500 condominium units in various projects in Ocean City, Maryland.
- Representation of land developers in connection with acquisition, subdivision and sale of thousands of residential lots in Howard County, Baltimore County and Anne Arundel County, Maryland.
- Representation of The Maryland Stadium Authority in negotiations with stadium architect and construction manager, as well as in connection with contract document preparation, for Oriole Park at Camden Yards.
- AV Peer Review Rated: Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, published by Chambers and Partners
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, 2009 - present
- Listed in Maryland Super Lawyers, 2007 - 2011
- Listed in Baltimore's Legal Elite, 2006 - Baltimore SmartCEO Magazine
- Elected to American College of Real Estate Lawyers, 2002
- Chair, 2005; Vice-Chair, 2004; and Secretary, 2003 of the Section Council for the Real Property Section, Maryland State Bar Association
- Member: Urban Land Institute
- Member: International Council of Shopping Centers
- Member: National Association of Industrial Office Properties
- Board Member: Editorial Board, Legal Update, International Council of Shopping Centers
- Co-Author: "Tenant's Leasehold Rights at Risk," Retail Law Strategist, August 2004
- Speaker: "CAM/Operating Expenses - Devil or Angel . . . So Whose Clause is it Anyway?"American College of Real Estate Lawyers 2004 Mid-Year Meeting
- Co-Author: "Oops! Lease Renewals: When a Mistake Is Not a Mistake," Shopping Center Legal Update, Spring 2002
- Co-Chair: 12th Annual Advanced Real Property Institute co-sponsored by The Maryland Institute for Continuing Professional Education of Lawyers and the Maryland State Bar Association Section of Real Property, Planning & Zoning, May 2001
- Panelist: "Subleasing Workshop"; International Council of Shopping Centers Annual Law Conference, 2001
- Panelist: "A Reasonable Landlord - The Latest Developments on Assignment Consents," Section of Real Property, Probate and Trust, American Bar Association, 2001 Annual Meeting
- Co-Author: "Implied Duties In Leases - What Else Is There Now?" Shopping Center Legal Update, Winter 2000
- Speaker: "Eastern Shore Markets, Inc. v. J.D. Associates Limited Partnership," Maryland State Bar Association Commercial Real Estate Lawyers Discussion Group, November 2000
- Co-Chair: 11th Annual Advanced Real Property Institute co-sponsored by The Maryland Institute for Continuing Professional Education of Lawyers and the Maryland State Bar Association Section of Real Property, Planning & Zoning, April 2000
- Panelist: "Development Issues," 11th Annual Advanced Real Property Institute, April, 2000
- Panelist: "Operating Covenants," International Council of Shopping Centers Annual Law Conference, 2000
- Co-Author: "Subletting and Assignment: An Introduction," The Commercial Property Lease, Volume III, 2000
- Co-Author: "Say What You Mean - And Also What You Don't Mean," Bar Bulletin: Maryland State Bar Association Newsletter; October 1999
- Speaker: "Enforceability of Continuous Operations Covenants," International Council of Shopping Centers Annual Law Conference, October 1999
- Speaker: "Enforceability Against Third Parties of Restrictive Covenants and Other Agreements in Unrecorded Leases," Maryland State Bar Association Annual Meeting, June 1999
- Author: "Landlord's Lament: The Times Are Changing"; Shopping Center Business; December 1997
- Co-Author: "Unforeseen Issues: Restraints on Redevelopment in Existing Leases and REAs," The ICSC Guide to Renovating and Expanding Shopping Centers - The Smart Way; 1996
- Lecturer: "Commercial Leasing in Maryland," National Business Institute, 1990-1991
- Evening Instructor: Principles and Practices of Real Estate, Essex Community College, 1978-1984
- Orange County Community College (A.A. 1966)
- University of Maryland (B.A. 1970)
- Rutgers University School of Law (J.D. 1974) with honors
- U.S. Green Building Council (LEED Accredited Professional 2009)