Mr. Cizek is a seasoned construction lawyer with extensive courtroom and arbitration experience. He often serves in the role of outside general counsel, drafting and negotiating contracts and advising clients on the avoidance, resolution and prosecution of construction claims. He is additionally experienced in the representation of sureties.
Mr. Cizek’s clients include owners, developers, tenants, general contractors, subcontractors, suppliers and sureties. He is experienced in construction litigation in both federal and state courts, before the American Arbitration Association and other ADR forums. He regularly prosecutes and defends mechanic's lien claims on behalf of owners, developers, tenants, general contractors, subcontractors and suppliers. He also represents sureties in connection with various commercial surety bonds.
- Listed as a "Rising Star" in Maryland Super Lawyers (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013)
Memberships & Activities
- Member: Maryland State Bar Association, Construction Law Section
- Member: American Bar Association Forum on the Construction Industry
- Member: American Bar Association, Tort and Insurance Law Practice Section, Fidelity and Surety Law Committee
- Member: Associated General Contractors
- Board Member: UMAR Boxing Program, Inc.
- Board of Trustees: Harriet Lane Home Foundation
- Committee Member: American Cancer Society, Fighting Cancer from the Fairways
- Judicial Clerk: Honorable Stephen M. Waldron; Circuit Court of Maryland for Harford County
Construction Law, Contracts Claims and Litigation
- Obtained $3.6 million jury verdict in favor of general contractor and against design/builder
- Representation of national commercial builder in multimillion dollar mechanic’s lien litigation
- Representation of major railroad in mechanic’s lien litigation involving substation
- Counseled non-profit communities managed by Erickson Retirement Communities on various mechanic’s lien issues
- Representation of national homebuilder in mechanic’s lien actions
- Representation of general contractor in multimillion dollar construction litigation involving labor productivity claims
- Defense of general contractors, subcontractors and officers, directors and managing agents of contractors against Maryland Construction Trust Fund claims
Surety Bond Claims
- Representation of sureties before the Court of Special Appeals and Court of Appeals of Maryland in payment bond claim litigation
- Representation of sureties before the United States District Court for the District of Maryland and the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit in indemnity and bond claim actions
Contract Preparation and Negotiation
- Representation of developer in negotiation of $105 million mixed use construction project
- Representation of Fortune 500 company in negotiation of $100 million build-out of office space and retail store
- Representation of community associations in negotiation of numerous large construction contracts related to common elements of communities
- Representation of general contractor in negotiation of contract to construct large multifamily project
- Representation of subcontractors in negotiating subcontracts on multimillion dollar commercial projects
- Representation of church in negotiating multimillion dollar cost plus fee with a guaranteed maximum price contract for the construction of a new church
Insurance Coverage & Defense Litigation
- Representation of subcontractors in construction defect litigation
- Representation of entity under D&O policy in multimillion dollar employment litigation
- Representation of Subguard insurer in subrogation action against defaulting subcontractor in federal court
Real Estate Litigation
- Representation of Real Estate Developer in multimillion dollar litigation involving fraud claims related to undisclosed adverse subsurface conditions
- Representation of contractor on federal project in successfully disputing and converting termination for cause to termination for convenience
- Representation of surety in litigation with public school board over defaulted contractor
Presentations: Understanding Bonding and Insurance Issues in Construction, HalfMoon Education Inc. presents "Construction Law," February 5, 2014; New Laws Impacting Construction/Contracting Industry, WTP/CR Construction Industry Seminar, January 16, 2014
Publications: Fifty State Construction Lien and Bond Law, Co-Author of Maryland Chapter; Fourth Circuit Vacates Summary Judgment in Favor of Miller Act Payment Bond Surety Under "Pay-if-Paid" Provision Where Material Disputes of Fact Exist as to the Applicability of the "Prevention Doctrine," Fidelity & Surety Law Committee Newsletter, Spring 2011; Court Holds That Assignment Provision in Indemnity Agreement Trumps Anti-Assignment Provision in Construction Contract, Fidelity & Surety Law Committee Newsletter, 2007; IRS Notice of Levy on Bonded Contract Funds: What Does the Surety Do Next, Northeast Surety & Fidelity Claims Conference, 2007; The Financing Surety as a Performing Surety - Law and Practice, Northeast Surety & Fidelity Claims Conference, 2003; Payment Provisions in Construction Contracts and Construction Trust Fund Statutes: A Fifty State Survey, The Construction Lawyer, Fall Ed., 2004, presented at the Northeast Surety & Fidelity Claims Conference, 2004
Contributor: The Law of Motor Vehicle Dealer Bonds
The 17th United Way Golf Tournament hosted by the Hartford Bond Claim Department.
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston is pleased to announce that 64 of its attorneys are listed among the 2013 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in three states.
The firm is particularly proud of the young lawyers who are recognized as “Rising Stars”; the four partners who are listed in the Top 100 in Maryland – Edward Buxbaum, Edwin Fee, William Ryan, and Dwight Stone; and the 16 who are named for the first time this year.
Forty-Six Whiteford, Taylor & Preston Attorneys Named Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in Maryland; Five in Maryland Listed in “Top 100”
The firm is particularly proud of the five who are listed in the Top 100 in Maryland – Edward Buxbaum, Edwin Fee, Paul Nussbaum, William Ryan, and Dwight Stone. Selection of the Top 100 lawyers in a jurisdiction is strictly based on the highest scores in the Super Lawyer judging process, and Whiteford is one of the two firms with the most names on the list.
Forty-Seven Whiteford, Taylor & Preston Attorneys Named Super Lawyers and Rising Stars; More Named in "Top 50" Than Any Other Maryland Law Firm
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston is pleased to announce that 47 of its attorneys are listed among the 2011 Maryland and Virginia Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston is pleased to announce that 39 of its attorneys are listed among the 2010 Maryland Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. They join three attorneys previously named as Super Lawyers or Rising Stars in Virginia.
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston LLP (WTP) is delighted to announce that J. Bradley Aaron, Jennifer R. Busse, Adam Cizek, Emily A. Daneker, Stephen B. Gerald, Kevin A. Kernan, and Kristen B. Perry have been elected as partners of the firm, effective January 1, 2009.
A brief description of each of the twelve associates is outlined in the press release.