Intellectual Property & Technology
Today's fast-paced business environment requires that all business organizations - regardless of size - understand both that their intellectual properties are among their most valuable assets and that the efficient use of technology is a powerful tool in staying competitive in an ever-changing global marketplace. The successful identification, protection and commercialization of ideas, technologies and information is no easy undertaking and requires highly specialized legal advice.
Our Intellectual Property & Technology group handles a full range of technology and intellectual property matters for our clients, ranging from individual inventors to small businesses to large publicly-held corporations, across a wide spectrum of industries and technologies. Our IP lawyers work closely with clients to help them identify, protect, expand and leverage their technologies and other IP assets in a number of ways. Our proven experience and capabilities include:
- The preparation and prosecution of domestic and foreign patents, trademark and copyright applications and related opinion matters
- Conducting intellectual property audits to, among other things, identify all relevant intellectual property assets and ensure non-infringement of third parties' intellectual property
- The design and implementation of intellectual property protection strategies
- The negotiation of domestic and international technology and content licenses, research and development agreements, technology transfer agreements, strategic alliances, joint ventures and other innovative "partnering" agreements
- Counsel regarding innovative software license and distribution models, including ASP, "cloud computing," Software as a Service ("SaaS") and Free/Open Source models
- Counsel regarding a wide range of software, computer and Internet law matters, including web site audits, ecommerce issues, domain names and database protection matters
- Counsel regarding risks and opportunities specific to social media, including matters involving Facebook, LinkedIn, MySpace, Twitter and YouTube
- Counsel regarding advertising and promotion law and the rights of privacy and publicity
- Counsel regarding antitrust, unfair competition and other trade regulation matters
This established substantive experience enables us both to assist businesses in protecting their intellectual property rights and also vigorously defend them from charges of violating the intellectual property or proprietary rights of others. Our IP litigators have successfully represented clients in federal and state trial and appellate courts, including the United States Court of Appeal for the Federal Circuit, and in proceedings before a wide range of administrative agencies and other forums, including the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, the Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences, the International Trade Commission and the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).
Consistent with our firm's innovative approach to problem solving, our IP lawyers work closely with clients and their other advisers in employing a collaborative "team approach" to addressing a client's intellectual property needs. Additionally, our technology and intellectual property engagements often relate to larger business projects or transactions being undertaken by clients, enabling us to utilize other knowledge within our firm's complementary practice groups, including our Emerging Business and Venture Finance Group, our Corporate and Securities Group and our Employment Law Group, to address ancillary issues that are a key part of structuring a successful technology enterprise or other emerging business.