Whiteford, Taylor & Preston's history is one of progress, stability, and growth.
Founded in 1933 by two Baltimore attorneys, Paul Due and Palmer Nickerson. The firm maintained a general practice through the 1930s, '40s, and '50s, adding other attorneys who would eventually become name partners - Hamilton Whiteford in 1940, B. Conway Taylor, Jr. in 1946, and Wilbur (Woody) Preston, Jr. in 1951.
Between 1960 and 1982, the firm grew from 11 attorneys to over 30 attorneys, and became known for its litigation capabilities. While continuing to grow, many of our attorneys have moved on to have successful careers as trial and appellate court judges.
As a result of this growth, Whiteford, Taylor & Preston is now one of the largest law firms in Maryland, with more than 160 attorneys, serving a range of legal needs in the mid-Atlantic region and beyond.
Our six offices offer practice concentrations that reflect the special needs of groups of clients and industries. The reason for the firm's success is simple: quality legal work, responsive service, and a genuine desire to exceed our clients' expectations.