Sigrid C. Haines
Sigrid Haines is a health care and elder law attorney. She has earned a reputation as one of Maryland’s most respected health care attorneys for her representation of hospitals, medical and health-related foundations, health care systems, nursing homes, home health agencies, physicians and pharmacies. She also practices in the guardianship field.
Sigrid counsels hospitals on a broad range of legal matters, including contract disputes and negotiations; hospital privileges and credentials; patient care; policy, licensing, accreditation and regulatory matters; HIPAA issues; medical staff bylaws; and fraud and abuse investigations and litigation. She also advises physicians and dentists on privileging and credentialing, licensing, payor issues, contracts and peer review activities.
Sigrid represents individuals and institutions in guardianship matters and has been appointed as guardian of property in a number of cases. For clients who are competent, but who recognize that they need assistance, she often serves as attorney-in-fact under a power of attorney to handle financial and health care needs based on her clients’ instructions. In fulfilling her duties to the court or to her clients, Sigrid works with both county and private social workers in order to provide the highest quality of life possible. In addition, she ensures that bills get paid and money is managed efficiently to meet the needs of her clients and wards.
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, Health Care, 2012 to present
- Listed in Chambers USA, Health Care, 2011 to present
- AV Pre-eminent Peer Review Rated: Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in Maryland and Washington, DC Super Lawyers (2007, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2015)
Memberships & Activities
- Chair/Vice Chair/Secretary/Treasurer: Health Law Section of the Maryland State Bar Association
- Former Member: Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center Advisory Board for Patient Safety
- Former Member: Hebrew Home, Rockville, Patient Safety Committee
- Member: Maryland State Bar Association (Health Law Section Council 1993-present, Health Law Section 1989-present, Elder Law and Disability Rights Section Council 2014-2015, Board of Governors 2010-2012)
- Member: American Health Lawyers Association (1983-present)
- Auxiliary Board Member: Days End Farm Horse Rescue
Healthcare – Hospitals and Nonprofits, Accreditation and Regulations
- Health Law counsel during multi-hospital system's merger and joint venture with other hospital systems and healthcare organizations
- Representation of physician practice group in strategic alliance with hospital
- Representation of physician practice in negotiation with large healthcare system
- Representation of healthcare providers before multiple licensure boards
- Counsel to Hospital Boards in physician disciplinary matters and credentialing
- Advise clients on HIPAA compliance issues
Professional Disciplinary Matters, Fraud & Abuse
- Representation of healthcare providers before multiple licensure boards, including physicians, dentists, physician assistants, nurses, nurse practitioners, psychologists, counselors, acupuncturists and respiratory therapists
- Representation of healthcare providers in qui tam case involving fraudulent Medicare billing
- Advise healthcare clients on fraud and abuse issues including self-referral, anti-kickback false claims and false statements
Continuing Care Retirement Communities
- Health law counsel to long-term care facility during Medicare audit, change in ownership and eventual sale of facility
- Health law counsel representation of continuing care retirement communities on licensure, regulatory, and contractual issues
- Health law counsel to publicly-traded company re: change in ownership of continuing care retirement community
- Advise continuing care providers on regulatory submissions including contracts, disclosure statements, amendments, notifications and filings
Business and Corporate Law
- Advise parties in merger, acquisition and other business transactions regarding health care issues
- Advise health care clients in formation, corporate structure and governance
- Advise health care entities in physician recruitment
- Review and evaluate physician employment/independent contractor agreements
White Collar Criminal Defense
- Representation of health care providers in responding to and defending against government inquiries, investigations, and prosecutions
Healthcare Decision-Making, Montgomery County Bar Association, February 2017
Physician Contracting Issues, Inova Fairfax Hospital, February 2017
Common Sense Measures Ensure a HIPAA Compliant Practice, Maryland Physician Magazine, March 2012
Maryland Health Care Advance Directives: The Law May Be Changing, April 2006
Health Care Decisions: Have You Made Yours? May 2005
59 lawyers from Whiteford, Taylor & Preston have been selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018 (copyright 2017 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken S.C.). The lawyers selected are based in the firm’s Maryland, Washington and Virginia offices. Client comments are posted on the U.S. News & Best Lawyers web site, at bestlawfirms.usnews.com.
In addition, two lawyers were selected as “Lawyer of the Year” for their particular areas of practice.
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston is pleased to announce that Chambers and Partners has once again ranked the firm highly in its 2017 list of leading firms and business lawyers. This year’s recognition includes a record 29 attorneys in 4 states, the District of Columbia and Afghanistan.
Whiteford Taylor & Preston announced today that prominent Maryland health care attorney Sigrid C. Haines has joined the firm as a partner in its Columbia and Baltimore offices. With decades of experience in health care and elder law, Ms. Haines is experienced representing hospitals, medical and health-related foundations, health care systems, nursing homes, home health agencies, physicians and pharmacies.