Whiteford, Taylor & Preston has a well-established Labor and Employment Group whose members are devoted exclusively to representing clients in all aspects of labor and employment law. The Group primarily represents management, either the business entity itself or managers and supervisors who have been sued individually in employment-related matters, directly or pursuant to employment practices liability insurance.
The Group handles all types of employment litigation in the state and federal courts, as well as before a broad array of administrative agencies such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the National Labor Relations Board, state and federal occupational safety and health agencies, the U.S. Department of Labor, the Maryland Office of Administrative Hearings, and local human relations commissions.
Our seasoned Labor and Employment Group litigation attorneys have handled claims involving all of the following:
- Employment discrimination (including sexual and racial harassment complaints, disability discrimination, equal pay claims and sexual orientation claims)
- Violation of federal and related state and local laws (e.g., the Family Medical Leave Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act and occupational safety statutes)
- Wrongful discharge, breach of employment contracts, employment-related torts (e.g., defamation, battery, misrepresentation)
- Union organizing efforts and unfair labor practice complaints.
The Group strongly urges clients to adopt preventive measures and good practices to reduce exposure to costly and disruptive employment litigation. Examples of the preventive services we offer include the following:
- Development and evaluation of employment policies
- Training for supervisors and management (including harassment prevention training)
- Review of record keeping systems
- Advice regarding decisions affecting employees
- Dealing with problem employees
- Assistance with internal investigations.
In addition to defending employers against workplace related claims, WTP also regularly assists its clients in protecting their trade secrets and other economic interests by, among other things, enforcing employment agreements and common law duties owed by current and former employees.
Forty-one Whiteford Attorneys Named Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in Maryland and Kentucky for 2017
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston is pleased to announce that 41 of its attorneys are listed among the 2017 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in Maryland and Kentucky joining the sixteen who were listed earlier this year in Delaware, D.C., Pennsylvania and Virginia.