Whiteford, Taylor & Preston is pleased to announce that four of its attorneys are listed among the 2018 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in Delaware.
Daniel A. Griffith
Mr. Griffith is the Managing Partner of WTP's Delaware office and co-chairs the firm's Commercial Litigation Section, whose attorneys handle professional liability matters, class action and multi-district litigation, business disputes, complex insurance issues, civil rights matters and a wide range of other litigation. In addition to representing professionals (attorneys, insurance professionals, private and public employers and police officers) in litigated matters, he represents commercial and personal insurance carriers, multi-national corporations, municipal entities and state governments. Mr. Griffith focuses his practice on civil rights litigation, complex insurance coverage matters and litigation arising from business disputes.
He has significant trial experience in Delaware, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Mr. Griffith has tried cases in a wide variety of areas, including copyright infringement, insurance coverage/bad faith, employment discrimination, municipal liability, civil rights and professional negligence. He is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court as well as numerous inferior courts and is a frequent writer and lecturer on issues relating to civil trial practice, including ethics, federal pre-trial practice, expert issues and building civil trial skills.
- Listed as a "Rising Star" in Benchmark Litigation:The Definitive Guide to America's Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys, 2010, 2012
- Recognized in America's Leading Lawyers, published by Chambers and Partners, 2009
Memberships & Activities
- Member: American Bar Association
- Member: Delaware Bar Association
- Member: New Jersey Bar Association
- Member: Defense Research Institute: Professionalism and Ethics Committee
- Counsel to bank and accounts receivable management companies in defense of federal claims brought under Fair Credit Reporting Act and Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
- Represented Independent Sales Organization (ISO) in federal litigation against bank involving credit and debit card processing of merchant accounts.
- Represented seller of credit-card accounts receivable in federal litigation arising out of alleged breach of Purchase-and-Sale Agreement.
Civil Rights Litigation
- Represented medical provider to Delaware's inmate population in federal claim by 19 inmates that nurse's use of contaminated needle exposed inmates' to blood-borne illnesses, including HIV and Hepatitis.
- Represented municipality in claim by mayoral candidate that the city violated his First Amendment rights in connection with campaign advertising.
- Represents numerous Delaware municipalities and counties in defense of constitutional claims arising out of alleged wrongful arrests, excessive use of force, unwarranted taser incidents, denial of land use applications and employment discrimination.
Professional Liability Defense
- Represents patient advocacy service in claim alleging breach of fiduciary duty arising out of court-appointed guardianship
- Represents law firm in complex legal malpractice claim arising out of a series of real estate and financial transactions involving multiple developers, financial institutions and attorneys.
- Represented attorneys and law firm in legal malpractice claim alleging negligence and fraudulent misrepresentations in connection with underlying toxic tort claim.
Intellectual Property Litigation
- Represented internet provider of membership discount programs in defense of copyright infringement claim.
- Counsel for multi-national electronics company in patent infringement litigation involving digital television system.
- Delaware counsel for national transportation company in patent infringement claim involving electronic fleet management systems.
Insurance Coverage Litigation
- Represented insurance carrier in complex federal coverage litigation involving underlying environmental exposure and remediation.
- Counsel for multi-national personal and commercial lines insurance carrier in federal coverage action arising out of underlying wrongful death action.
- Counsel for primary insurance carrier in multi-million dollar insurance coverage action arising out of underlying product liability claim.
Land Use/Real Estate Litigation
- Represented Sussex County in federal civil rights action/claim for injunctive relief arising out of denial of Conditional Use Permit for developer's construction of commercial office buildings.
- Represented municipality in developer's claims for money damages and injunctive relief following denial of application or use variance.
- Represented Kent County in appeal from/challenge to County's denial of developer's application for Conditional Use Permit for expansion of commercial asphalt/recycling plant.
Alternative Dispute Resolution
- One of only 9 attorneys in the State of Delaware named to the Roster of Neutrals of the American Arbitration Association (AAA). The AAA is the nation's leading provider of alternative dispute resolution, and its national Roster of Neutrals consists of accomplished and respected experts from the legal and business communities. Candidates are appointed based upon exceptional qualifications, accomplishments and professional stature.
Labor & Employment Litigation
- Represents municipal employer in federal suit by city's former IT director alleging employer's violation of Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Represents employees in claims before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission in claims alleging gender discrimination and retaliatory discharge
- Represents police department in employment claim by former officer alleging discrimination on the basis of religion
Healthcare and Medical Malpractice Litigation
- Represents doctors and nurses in numerous claims alleging medical malpractice in state and federal courts
- Represents medical professionals in disciplinary actions before Delaware's Division of Professional Regulation
- Represents numerous Delaware police departments and other branches of county and state government in claims ranging from wrongful arrest and excessive force (i.e., use of taser or canine, etc.) to property damage from sewer back-ups and personal injuries from alleged negligence by governmental employees.
Author and Speaker: DEPOSITIONS PROCEDURE AND EXPERT TIPS (national Business Institute - September, 2011)
Author and Speaker: WHAT THE CIVIL COURT JUDGES WANT YOU TO KNOW (National Business Institute, September, 2007)
Moderator: "A View From Their Bench: Evidence & Expert Testimony Best Practices," - National Business Institute Trial Practice l Judicial Forum - Wilmington, Delaware - November 21, 2008.
Author and Speaker: EFFECTIVE FEDERAL PRE-TRIAL PRACTICE (National Business Institute, February, 2007)
Author and Speaker: BUILDING YOUR CIVIL TRIAL SKILLS (National Business Institute, December, 2006)
Author and Speaker: GETTING YOUR EVIDENCE AND EXPERT TESTIMONY ADMITTED INTO COURT IN DELAWARE (National Business Institute, February, 2006)
Author and Speaker: MANAGING ETHICAL ISSUES IN YOUR DAY-TO-DAY PRACTICE IN DELAWARE (National Business Institute, December, 2005)
Author and Speaker: LEGAL ETHICS IN DELAWARE: SOLUTIONS TO THE MOST COMMON ETHICAL CHALLENGES (National Business Institute, December, 2004)
Speaker: HOW TO AVOID BEING THE TARGET OF A LEGAL MALPRACTICE CLAIM IN DELAWARE (National Business Institute, 2004)
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston is pleased to announce that five of its attorneys are listed among the 2017 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in Delaware and Pennsylvania.
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston is pleased to announce that three of its attorneys are listed among the 2016 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in Delaware.
The 2016 edition of Benchmark Litigation has ranked Whiteford, Taylor & Preston as “Highly Recommended” in Maryland. The ranking is the publication’s top rating and identifies those firms it deems “dominant” in the state.
In addition, Benchmark Litigation named eight lawyers from the firm as Maryland “Local litigation Stars.” The selected lawyers represent the broad diversity of the firm’s litigation experience, from sophisticated business litigation to bankruptcy to products liability.
The 2014 editions of Benchmark Litigation and Benchmark Plaintiffs have ranked Whiteford, Taylor & Preston in the top tier of litigation firms in Maryland.
Eight lawyers from the firm were named as Maryland “Local litigation Stars” in Benchmark Litigation, and three of them were also named in Benchmark Plaintiffs. In addition, Daniel Griffith, the head of the firm’s Wilmington office, continued to be listed as a “Future Star” in the rankings for Delaware.
Corporate International Magazine, a British publication targeted at the finance industry worldwide, has announced that Whiteford Taylor & Preston LLC has been selected as the winner of the Corporate Intl Magazine Legal Awards as Complex Litigation Law Firm of the Year in Delaware for 2013.
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston LLP (WTP) is pleased to announce that its Delaware office has expanded and moved into the Renaissance Center, Suite 500, 405 North King Street, Wilmington DE 19801-3700. The phone number is 302.353.4144. This expansion will shortly be followed by the opening of the firm’s fourth office in Maryland, in Bethesda, bringing the total number of offices to eight.
The 2012 edition of Benchmark Litigation: The Definitive Guide to America’s Leading Litigation Firms & Attorneys has once again singled out Daniel Griffith, partner and chair of the Wilmington office of Whiteford Taylor & Preston LLC, as a “Future Star.”
Mr. Griffith commented, “Only 61 litigators in the entire state of Delaware were named in this year’s rankings, so I’m very honored to be included among them.”
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston is delighted to announce that Susan Jaffe Roberts has been elected a partner of the firm, and Daniel A. Griffith, and Edward J. O'Connell III have been named equity partners, effective January 1, 2010.
Ten lawyers from Whiteford, Taylor & Preston in Maryland and two in Delaware have been selected by Euromoney's Legal Media Group as "leading litigation attorneys." Their names appeared in the 2010 edition of the guide Benchmark Litigation: The Definitive Guide to America's Leading Litigation Firms & Attorneys. This is an increase of six over last year. In Maryland, the firm has substantially more ranked lawyers than any other firm on the list.
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston and 11 Partners Named As Leaders in the Legal Profession by Chambers and Partners
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston is delighted to announce that Chambers and Partners has highly ranked the firm and 11 of its attorneys in its list of America's leading firms and business lawyers.
Daniel A. Griffith, Experienced Delaware, Pennsylvania and New Jersey Litigator, Joins Whiteford, Taylor & Preston's New Wilmington Office
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston LLP (WTP) is delighted to announce that Daniel A. Griffith has joined the firm as a partner in our Litigation department in Delaware.